Community. Collaboration. Connection


Community. Collaboration. Connection.

Our community is a source of ideas, knowledge, and support.
There is strength in collaboration and listening.
We all are connected, no matter our differences, by our love for where we live.


Sophia MacRae was elected to the City of Norwood Payneham & St Peters in the South Australian Local Government elections of November 2010, as one of three Councillors representing the Maylands/Trinity Ward.

This Ward comprises Maylands, Stepney, Evandale, Trinity Gardens, St Morris Firle and some of Payneham South too.

Friday, October 22, 2010

No Junk Mail!

I am out on my bicycle solidly for the next few days, distributing my brochure and talking to residents as I do so. This brochure outlines my policies in greater detail, and also includes the How-to-Vote instructions. People will be receiving their voting pack in the mail from next Monday. If you are in Maylands/Trinity ward, you will need to choose three councillors to represent you, from the field of seven candidates. You will also need to choose your preferred Mayor for Norwood Payneham & St Peters.



I am supporting Vincent Tarzia and Teresa Dall'Aqua Leonardi for Maylands/Trinity ward, and I will talk a bit more about this shortly.

I am very pleased with the policies of David Winderlich who is running for Mayor. I would suggest that people contact the mayoral candidates, and their ward candidates, when they get the voting pack in the mail. All our phone numbers are there, and the emails of most of us. Contact us! Find out what we can do for you! Make an informed decision! We need to be put on the spot :-)

So, I have been doing much of my own letterboxing, because I want to get to know every street in my ward. Believe me, I am now familiar with all our footpaths, all our local streets, and the arterial roads of Payneham, Glynburn and Magill - not nice roads for pedestrians or cyclists! I know how bumpy some of those footpaths are, and how hard it is to negotiate a stroller or walker over them. I have seen how certain species of trees drop hard nuts and seeds that are a hazard for elderly people. I have seen blocked drains and hollows in the road and rough gutters and stretches of road that make a pedestrian, cyclist and motorist feel nervous or frustrated.


I have seen beautifully tended gardens, in both established houses and in tiny housing trust units, and I have seen gorgeous streetside and creekside environments. I have met some very nice people, and in fact, there has been no one who has not been polite, and interested to talk about their ideas for their neighbourhood.

So, I have put my introductory flyer in all your letterboxes, and this weekend, I am putting my detailed policy brochure in all your letterboxes.

When I say "all", I actually mean, those of you who are on the NPSP electoral roll. Not everyone is. Those of you who live in Norwood Payneham & St Peters, but are not on the electoral roll for whatever reason, are not receiving my paper, as I do not like cluttering up people's letterboxes without reason.

But, this being an election, I am disregarding the "No Junk Mail" and "Australia Post Only" signs on people's letterboxes. The Electoral Commission of SA permits electoral material to override these signs. This is because your letterbox is the only affordable, effective way we have to communicate with you. Council candidates can't afford TV ads. We have to use your letterbox, and I am aware that unsolicited mail can be annoying. I ask your forbearance, and more than that, I ask that you use the flyers and pamphlets and brochures and letters that your Council candidates have placed in your letterbox, to compare us, assess us, and contact us so YOU can choose the people who will be best represent you. Put us to the test. Don't let all that paper go to waste!

No comments:

Post a Comment