Community. Collaboration. Connection


Community. Collaboration. Connection.

Our community is a source of ideas, knowledge, and support.
There is strength in collaboration and listening.
We all are connected, no matter our differences, by our love for where we live.


Sophia MacRae was elected to the City of Norwood Payneham & St Peters in the South Australian Local Government elections of November 2010, as one of three Councillors representing the Maylands/Trinity Ward.

This Ward comprises Maylands, Stepney, Evandale, Trinity Gardens, St Morris Firle and some of Payneham South too.

Saturday, October 23, 2010

My Policies in more detail - text from my Policy Brochure


Detailed Policy Brochure, Sophia MacRae

I believe that all Councils benefit from having fresh, energetic, enthusiastic and committed people on their team. I believe in innovative, integrated long-term think that develops the synergy between the Council and the community.

I am committed to living with my family in this area for the long term. I will continue to be active in my community with my volunteer work. My professional work as a teacher and musician keeps me continually engaged with people young and old. 

If elected to Norwood Payneham & St Peters Council, I commit to being available and accountable to all constituents.



Are you concerned about traffic safety?

Our children and our elderly need to negotiate the roads and footpaths safely as they move around the neighbourhood. We all need safe roads. Council plays a huge role in improving safety for drivers, cyclists and pedestrians. As a parent who commutes with my son on my bicycle, and walks to childcare and the shops, I have a particular interest in traffic safety, and if elected I will work with Council to ensure that safety for all is given the attention and resources it demands.



Do you want pleasant public space and access to community gardens?

By maintaining and enhancing facilities such as playgrounds, parks, cultural centres, community gardens and community noticeboards, the Council can encourage people to get involved in activities in their neighbourhood, which benefits the health and well-being of everyone in the community. Norwood Payneham & St Peters is blessed with a variety of beautiful communal spaces, and I want to help people make the most of them.



Do you want more support from Council regarding water and waste management?

Waste management is a key sustainability issue for our city. I believe that the recycling of organic waste is something that bears more consideration and consultation with the community. I would like to see more incentives for on-site composting of organic waste, and the assisted uptake of “Bokashi” bins for those without gardens.


I am also committed to water management and will work with the Council and residents to conserve water and to prevent waste run-off from polluting our stormwater. Better urban and residential design and assistance to residents for purchasing tanks and other basic infrastructure will improve our ability to retain the water in our city.




Do you care about trees and supporting our urban ecology?

I am committed to preserving our city's bio-diversity. The health of our community is linked to the health of our natural environment. The trees that line our streets, parks and wetlands are a haven for native birds and other life, and are vital to the bio-diversity of our urban surroundings. Council needs to be responsible and pro-active regarding the planting and maintenance of trees, and the management of native wildlife. If elected to Council, I will work to ensure that the proposed changes to the “Significant Tree” legislation do not adversely affect our residents or the amenity of our city. I will also work to rehabilitate the four creeks that run through our city.



Do you want to see the heritage character of NPSP preserved?

Sensitive, appropriate urban development is essential in order to retain the valuable heritage character of Norwood Payneham & St Peters. Flexibility and support are required from Council to ensure that rate payers are not overburdened with the expenses of maintaining old dwellings.
If elected, I will endeavour to see that Council operates an open channel for community consultation to ensure a healthy mix of heritage and well-designed contemporary buildings for NPSP.



Do you want to save money on energy and water?

Water and energy conservation is an important issue for all South Australians. Intelligent urban planning, utilising best-practise design principles, can greatly enhance our ability to use energy and water more efficiently. I aim to work effectively to encourage water-sensitive urban planning in our public spaces and to encourage developers to implement energy-efficient building materials and techniques in our city.


Do you love the culture of our city?

I am a qualified musician who has been teaching, performing and managing professional arts events for over twenty years. As a musician I have experienced first-hand the value of community spirit and openness, and how being involved in the arts benefits the vitality and heath of our community. Norwood Payneham & St Peters is well known for its involvement with the arts and cultural events. If elected, I will work to enhance this, and make the arts even more accessible to everyone.


 Are you concerned about fiscal responsibility and accountability from your Council?  
  
If elected to the Norwood Payneham & St Peters Council, I will be accessible and accountable to everyone in the community, and I'll be working hard to keep your rates as low as possible. 
I support local businesses, and want every dollar spent in our community to stay in our community for as long as possible, to create shared prosperity.




*********************************

 We all deserve to live in a pleasant neighbourhood where things just work well.

The Council is there to serve you.

I will demand effective programs and services for you.

I will ensure real community consultation, using the technology of today’s world.

Norwood Payneham & St Peters is already a great place to live, and I'm determined to make it even better.

No comments:

Post a Comment