Community. Collaboration. Connection


Community. Collaboration. Connection.

Our community is a source of ideas, knowledge, and support.
There is strength in collaboration and listening.
We all are connected, no matter our differences, by our love for where we live.


Sophia MacRae was elected to the City of Norwood Payneham & St Peters in the South Australian Local Government elections of November 2010, as one of three Councillors representing the Maylands/Trinity Ward.

This Ward comprises Maylands, Stepney, Evandale, Trinity Gardens, St Morris Firle and some of Payneham South too.

Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Music for people

I have had the pleasure of being able to perform my music for some very special occasions this week.

On Monday 6th December I played my saxophone for the ladies of Noi Donne in the Community Rooms of the Payneham Library for their final session of the year, and the next morning I took along my flute for the ladies and gentlemen of Amicizia and played Christmas songs, accompanying some enthusiastic singing!

Noi Donne and Amicizia are just two of the programs run by the Co-ordinating Italian Committee or CIC. I joined as a volunteer with CIC a couple of months ago, and I am finding that I am loving being involved with this organisation that does so much for the elderly and socially disadvantaged people in our community. They have cuore - heart.

I am also playing some jazz flute this evening for the Adelaide premiere of Design for Life, the documentary of The Food Forest, the world class permaculture farm and education centre in Gawler, SA.

At the launch of the wonderful mural by local artist Sebastian Humphreys at the Norwood Pool on Saturday 4th, music was provided by two young saxophone players. They sounded great, and certainly added to the occasion.

Music makes people feel good. Music helps people feel connected. Music is a powerful and often under-estimated part of our community health.

I'll be encouraging more opportunities for community music making and enjoyment during my term on Council, and long after, I expect!

No comments:

Post a Comment