Community. Collaboration. Connection


Community. Collaboration. Connection.

Our community is a source of ideas, knowledge, and support.
There is strength in collaboration and listening.
We all are connected, no matter our differences, by our love for where we live.


Sophia MacRae was elected to the City of Norwood Payneham & St Peters in the South Australian Local Government elections of November 2010, as one of three Councillors representing the Maylands/Trinity Ward.

This Ward comprises Maylands, Stepney, Evandale, Trinity Gardens, St Morris Firle and some of Payneham South too.

Sunday, September 19, 2010

Getting people to vote...

Here is the text of an article that I recently wrote, to be published in the upcoming issue of University of South Australia's Unilife Magazine. I wrote it with the aim of getting students, both undergraduate and graduate, to think about the importance of voting.

Local Government elections are notorious for having a low voter turnout, as voting in these elections is not compulsory. Figures show that only a third of eligible people bother voting.

Image from Independent Review of Local Government Elections
Local Government Association of South Australia

My contribution as follows:

Going for the Hat Trick

Hands up who remembers the days of live ‘n’ kicking student politics on campus? Think back in the early ‘90’s, when Natasha Stott Despoja was powering from University of Adelaide to the Senate, and then leap to 2006, when John Howard eviscerated Australia’s Student Unions with the introduction of VSU, and effectively pulled the rug out under the feet of student political engagement and interest. After all, if it’s not compulsory, why bother?
Back in the ‘90’s, I never thought I’d get involved in politics myself. But now, in my second degree, as an Education student on a campus and in a culture that doesn’t seem to know the power of its own voice, I am finding that I want to say something, not just for myself but for anyone else who wants their point of view to be considered, and wants a representative at the table.
So, 2010 State Election, 2010 Federal Election… I started reading, I started listening, I started caring about what was happening. Now we’ve got the Hat Trick Election – 2010 Local Government. This is where I’m gonna get on the train.
I like the idea of Local Government because it is about where I actually live. The decisions that the Council makes will have a direct impact on my local area. And local people can go to the meetings.
So even though voting in the Local Government elections is not compulsory, meaning that about two thirds of people who are eligible to vote won’t even bother, it is actually the election where you can have the most direct impact.
Local Councils need a greater diversity of folks in their meetings, if they are going to make decisions that affect all of the people living in the area. The image that many people have of Council is that of a collection of middle aged, comfortable business men and women. How can they represent the views of younger people, especially students who are still renting, who are not business owners, but still need access to everything a good neighbourhood should provide?
I’m sure Councils are not all like this – let’s make sure that they are not! (Being under 40, I will put myself in the “younger person” bracket!)
I really want to see uni students getting engaged again with their community – both on campus, and in the neighbourhoods where they live. People go to uni because they DO care about things, but the modern uni experience can leave people feeling overwhelmed with the demands of study and working to support themselves, plus trying to have a life too. It’s hard to give some attention to extra concerns that you may feel you have no input into anyway. The thing is, you CAN have an input. Find out what candidates stand for, email or phone them, and vote accordingly. The system may not be perfect, but it sure beats the alternative of losing your voice completely.

No comments:

Post a Comment